Pakistan on Wednesday strongly rejected what it called “baseless and unfounded allegations” by India of a cross-border attack by Pakistani troops killing two Indian soldiers, adding that it was ready for a probe by a UN observer body into the incident.
“These are baseless and unfounded allegations,” said a statement issued by the Foreign Office. “Pakistan is prepared to hold investigations through the United Nations Military Observer Group for India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP) on the recent ceasefire violations on the Line of Control.”
The statement said it was important that serious efforts be made to maintain the progress and improvement achieved by the neighbouring countries in the dialogue process and bilateral relations, emphasising that “negative propaganda” be avoided.
The Indian army has claimed that firing by Pakistani troops near the heavily militarised Line of Control (LoC) had killed two Indian soldiers on Tuesday, with one’s head allegedly severed and taken away.
A senior military official in Islamabad had earlier denied that Pakistani troops had been involved in any attack, similarly claiming that India was using “propaganda” to divert attention from a deadly raid on Sunday.
Pakistan’s army says Indian Troops Crossed The (LOC) on Sunday and stormed a military post in an attack that left a Pakistani soldier dead and another injured. India has denied crossing the line.
In this photograph taken on January 8, 2013, Pakistani army personnel carry the coffin of soldier Mohammad Aslam, who was killed in a border post attack in the Haji Pir sector in Pakistani Kashmir by the Indian army, during his funeral in Khairpur village Chakwal district. Pakistani and Indian troops exchanged fire on January 6 along their disputed border in Kashmir, with each side accusing the other of starting the clash. Pakistan on January 9 denied an Indian claim that its troops killed two Indian soldiers in a cross-border attack on January 8 that has raised tensions in South Asia
This photograph taken on January 8, 2013, shows Pakistani army officials laying a wreath on the grave of soldier Mohammad Aslam.
In this photograph taken on January 8, 2013, a mourner comforts the mother of Pakistani soldier Mohammad Aslam.
Indian military personnel pay their respects in front of the caskets bearing the bodies of Indian soldiers Lance Naik (Corporal) Sudhakar Singh and Lance Naik Hemraj, killed during a skirmish in the disputed Kashmir region, before their departure from Rajouri, some 150kms from Jammu, on January 9, 2013, allegedly killed by Pakistani soldiers during a skirmish in the disputed Kashmir region, before their departure from Rajouri, some 150kms from Jammu, on January 9, 2013.
Salman Bashir, Pakistan’s ambassador to New Delhi disembarks his car as he arrives to meet Indian Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai in New Delhi January 9, 2013. India summoned Bashir on Wednesday to register a protest over the alleged killing of two Indian soldiers on the Line of Control (LoC) in Kashmir. Pakistan denied the “baseless and unfounded allegations” by India, calling it “propaganda” to divert attention from an earlier raid on Sunday resulting in the killing of one Pakistani soldier.
India’s Foreign Minister Salman Khurshid speaks during a news conference in New Delhi January 9, 2013. Indian Foreign Minister Salman Khurshid said Pakistani ambassador Salman Bashir had been summoned and “spoken to in very strong terms,” but he warned against “an escalation of a very unwholesome event that has taken place.”