Eiffel Tower evacuated after bomb threat

PARIS: The Eiffel Tower was evacuated on Saturday night after an anonymous caller phoned in a bomb threat, police said.  

Nearly 1,400 people were sent away from the tourist attraction following a request from tower operators after the warning, a Paris police official said.

Police then searched the monument with sniffer dogs, and set up a security perimeter.

No explosives were found and the site was to be reopened, the official said on condition of anonymity because she wasn’t authorized to speak publicly.

French authorities have stepped up counter terrorism measures in recent weeks amid heightened concern about threats to France over its military campaign against Al Qaeda-linked fighters in Mali which began more than two months ago.

The tower is occasionally evacuated because of such warnings — at least once last year and twice in 2011. The 324-meter (1,063-foot) tower is one of the world’s top tourist attractions, with millions of visitors a year.

Advertisements

Published by

usman hashmi

#Writer #Blogger #Artist #Enterpuner #CivilEngineer #Chealsea #PSPFAMILY #SMT #Twitter #CTH #PSP #SM

2 thoughts on “Eiffel Tower evacuated after bomb threat”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s